My Thoughts: Some picture books are educational. They serve a purpose, but they aren't meant to illicit an emotional response. Some picture books shoot for the Caldecott, all lush with artistic wonder. Occasionally we get a stellar mix. At the Same Moment, Around the World is a lesson in the interconnectedness of the citizens of Earth and it does so in the finest of form. Each little vignette, moving east from the Greenwich Meridian, tells us about a singular moment in one life. And while the little snapshots give us the telling, it is the gorgeous night turning toward day turning toward night illustrations that add the depth. The tall, lean size allows the art to soar, with tall buildings, trees, mountains, and kites. This is one of the finest picture books I have seen in awhile. Too bad it's from a French author as it would have been a strong Caldecott contender.
Recommended for both elementary classroom & library purchase. In fact, I would probably buy it for middle school classrooms also as the concept of time zones is still one worth investigating in 6th grade social science.
-------------------- Resources --------------------
Themes: Interconnectivity of the world, Time Zones
Thank You to Chronicle Books for my advanced copy.
Publisher: Chronicle Books; Fol Har/Ma edition
Date: March 2014
BUY At the Same Moment, Around the World HERE
- The book includes a an explanation of time zones and a world map depicting where each child's story occurs. I can't imagine teaching about time zones without this book! In fact, I'm not certain that a portion of older students might enjoy this book also....
- The BBC has a site devoted to explaining time zones HERE
- Cute little quiz on time zones HERE (made more fun by the British accents :-)
- Author interview over at dulemba.blogspot.com
- Add science! Make a water clock HERE, Make a sundial HERE,
- Investigate various webcams around the world HERE (all three found via The Canadian Homeschooler). Maybe use the webcam to make up narratives about the people you see?
- World time zone map HERE
About the author: Clotilde Perrin is a French children's book writer & illustrator with MANY books to her credit. Once I saw all of her gorgeous collection, I put her straight on my list of 'books to find!" You can read more about her (good old Google Chrome will translate) on her website.
-------------------- That's all folks! --------------------www.ReadingRumpus.com