It is everything you have read about: poignant, realistic, well-written, authentically voiced, truly a fantastic addition to children's literature. I bought 25 copies for our school....
Since I have nothing to add to the Wonder lovefest; I guess I will do what I do here and post the linky stuff one will need for classroom assistance!
-------------------- Resources --------------------
- Publisher's Synopsis: "August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?"
- The author's website precepts (rules about really important things). EXCELLENT for teaching!!!
- The author's annotations of cultural reference you may want to keep handy. There are A LOT!
- Discussion Questions.
- Author interview on her own site.
- Author Interview on NPR.
- Author website.
- Reviews? You Ask? New York Times, The Guardian, School Library Journal, Telegraph, Kirkus Reviews, Publisher's Weekly, Booklist, The Independent,...............
- Or, even better than a review,... How about this story from a teacher with a student in a similar situation as Auggie: Jen @ Teach Mentor Texts, you rock teacher!
- 2013 Newbery prediction list @ GoodReads. Note that The One and Only Ivan is in second place :-)
- Are you a Twitter user? #thewonderofwonder will help you find others who are in love with this book
- AWESOME Pledge to Choose Kind website where you can find tons of additional resources on anti-bullying and just being kind!
- The Book Trailer:
Here is the author reading the first chapter of the book:
Here's a author interview on how she came up with the idea:
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Age: 8 and up
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Date: February 2012
Themes: Tolerance, Disability, Family Life, Friendship, Kindness
Character Development: Good Plot Engagement: Very good, motivated by wanting kindness to prevail!
Originality: Like similar 'disability themed books recently, but with unique and authentic voices
Believability: Very believable
Thank You: NetGalley & Random House for my eBook time-limited read
-------------------- That's all folks! --------------------